3rd Last Legacy Level Designer Contest

Discussion topics for the level designing contests. Also users can host unofficial contests here.

Postby -BY » Fri May 29, 2015 11:38 pm

I welcome you to the very first Last Legacy Level Designer Contest (short LLLDC) held on this very site.
It's an honour to create the topic and tell you a bit about the foundations in the first post. Take your time to read into this a bit, as it's answering the most essential questions a fellow participant may ask.

_______________Rules_______________
First things first, we're starting off with the stolen rule descriptions.
- No levels that were being made before the contest started (aka when you're seeing this) are allowed.
- Obviously, your level must fit the theme. Don't go making a level that's time travel-y, you're a little late for that.
- Keep the levels to a maximum of three, anything longer and you're a little too ambitious.
- Collabs are perfectly fine, just don't have the entire forum working on one level. The max amount of people in your collab should be 3.
- Try not to scare off any children, the game's PG-13 and your level should be too.
- Please use the latest version of Last Legacy: Null Space: Chapter 3.

_______________Theme_______________

You might want to open both spoilers as they're referring to each other.

Theme A: show
Theme A: Snow

Create a level which follows the theme(part 1) and finally make a transition from Theme A to Theme B.

Theme B: show
Theme B: Mountain

Create a level which follows the theme(part 1) and finally make a transition from Theme B to Theme A.

Further explanation; Featuring Examples: show
Step 1:
It's in the end pretty simple. You choose one theme. Either Snow or Mountain and create a level for it.

For snow you can actually go for many different concepts as long as they're including snow as a major element. It's a good start if everything looks freezing cold.

Or:

For mountain it's pretty much the same. Just get sure that mountains are used as major element then.
Rocky surfaces, caves, vertical gameplay are things which work fine with this theme.

Step 2:
In the end you're making a small section which refers to the start of the other theme.

The snowy part changes steadily or abruptly into a mountain area.

Or:

The mountains may reach a point where it's actually starting to snow and everything gets gently covered in snow.

_______________Judging Criteria_______________

Gameplay (25 points, 50%)
This is where the judges decide how well executed your level structure was. Was the gameplay repetitive and boring or exciting and challenging? Went the difficulty way over the top or was it simply too easy to rise enough interest for a standard player. Gameplay is a general held term as it's really open for everything. You may go for puzzles, story elements, pure platformer action, etc. Whatever comes to your mind. A good sign for good gameplay is replayability. If people keep playing your level because it's simply making too much fun, you're definitely on the right track. However. The downsides are general bugs or impossible/confusing sections. Generally everything that frustrates the standard gamer. So try to avoid these things.

Design (20 points, 40%)
If your level fits the theme and delivers a marvellous environment, you will definitely get some points here. All graphical elements shall be judged in this section. Go and show us how creative you are.

Miscellaneous(5 points, 10%)
This score is for additional mentionworthy things. For example:
- Fitting music choices/sound effects (A silent level is a sad level)
- Abstract/Clever theme interpretation (pie shaped snowflakes invading the mountains)
- General mood your level delivers (Suddenly desert might be a bit out of place in snowy regions.Just a bit, though.)
- Mentionworthy Trigger Usage (Definitely getting attention if you create awesome things with these.)
- And many more. (Thousands I'd say.)

_______________Judges_______________
- Raz
- Yurimaster
- FrozenFire
- Runouw (Backup)
-BY

We might need a backup judge. I may contact the first suiting person I happen to think of.

_______________Deadline_______________
Last day to do any level edits is on 30th June. Extension requests need a good reasoning and are either done in this topic or via PM. However. Don't expect more than 1 - 2 days.

In case specific things are still not clear, you may either go for a PM or voice your problem in this topic.
Well there's not much more to say than wishing good luck to all participants. ^^

_______________Results_______________
Check it out.
http://www.lastlegacy.us/forums/viewtop ... 1371#p1371
Last edited by -BY on Sat May 30, 2015 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-BY

Re: 3rd Last Legacy Level Designer Contest

Postby Nwolf » Sat May 30, 2015 8:11 am

yes
Nwolf

Postby Karyete » Sat May 30, 2015 11:32 am

You bet I'm entering. Can't wait :3
Karyete

Postby ColdWater » Sat May 30, 2015 12:33 pm

Omg would be awesome.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) is love ,( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) is life.
Salut la France ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dont be crazy if I abuse lennies ,please ,seriously I love those , same thing if I talk everyday on shadows effect in the LD ,but I like making 160 objects in one single 17x22 screen.
waaaaa
ColdWater

Postby ~MP3 Amplifier~ » Sat May 30, 2015 1:15 pm

I may give this a go, but I really don't know for sure. I haven't used the LL designer in a while.
~MP3 Amplifier~

Postby Doram » Sun May 31, 2015 12:59 am

I'm in. I LOVE LL! (...and my 3rd place medal from the last contest is lonely... :twisted: )
Doram

Postby NanTheDark » Sun May 31, 2015 3:17 am

I'll make something if I feel like it. :lol:
NanTheDark

Postby Oranjui » Sun May 31, 2015 4:26 am

Considering trying to force myself to enter. I've spent an hour or two today working on a little doodle for this, but I'm not sure if I should continue... Oh well. It'll probably be easier for me once school and exams and stuff are over by the end of next week.
—OJ • Thanks for the sig, FF! Ɛ>
Oranjui

Postby Harmless » Sun May 31, 2015 12:21 pm

Uh oh

I need to consult the Legacy Town level and figure out how Triple J made a shower

brb

(And I'm rather stoked for this. Couldn't have been better timing as well.)

ty frozenfire for sig <3
Harmless

Postby Worldsixthocean » Sun May 31, 2015 7:37 pm

OHHH NOOOO i just posted a new level with the snow theme few days ago
Now i have to think another story :(
Worldsixthocean

Next

Return to Competitions