What's known about chapter 3 so far

What's known about chapter 3 so far

Postby Runouw » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:04 pm

Here I will describe the general outline for Chapter 3, at least what I am okay with revealing.

The major differences from Chapter 1 and 2 are:

Story
This game will have a pretty massive story. I will probably discuss this more in a separate topic.

This game will not be in flashplayer
This section is a little technical, sorry. By switching platforms to Java and using OpenGL, we will be able to push the game's graphical elements and details a lot more. Did you know that rain, snow, and dark caves were removed from Last Legacy: Null Space because it was determined to be too heavy on performance for flashplayer to handle? Stuff like this will no longer be a problem because OpenGL will give us a lot more power over the game's graphics.

This game will be OPEN WORLD
There will be no portals or wormholes to signal the end of a level in this game. Rather, you just explore a massive world and complete objectives. It would be like a classic Metroid Game where the player will be given access to new areas because of new powers they recently unlocked. Warps and quick jumps are planned for when the distance you have to travel is too great.

This game will be sold on PC/Steam
I hope you understand that I cannot afford to develop such a large game for free any more. I barely make 10 cents an hour for all the time I put into making Last Legacy Chapter 1 and 2, so if things don't change, I might never be able to finish another game. Selling this game also lets me keep this website ad-free and greatly improves the quality of the game since I can now hire artists, sound designers, and other programmers.

I still plan to make the level portal free forever. However, you will have to buy the game to play the story mode and to create levels. If you dislike this idea, remember the old flash player version of the game will remain free, forever.

I want to pre-release the game for $10 and sell it at release for $15. The pre-release will get you the full game for free when it comes and give you access to the level designer as it is being developed.

And what about a console port? That is something I would love to do, but I simply do not know enough about it at the time. If the game is sells enough, you will one day see it on a console, though I don't know if level designing work very well on a console.
Runouw
Site Admin

Re: What's known about chapter 3 so far

Postby Triple J » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:17 pm

Sounds pretty neat so far.

Question: Though "Steam" is obvious, how exactly are you distributing the game when you say "PC"? Disc, Windows store, etc?
My biggest Last Legacy project!
It all comes together right here!
Join the fun and make the list!
Triple J

Postby *Emelia Kaylee » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:18 pm

Out of the Flash frying pan and into the Java fire
*Emelia Kaylee

Postby Runouw » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:01 pm

Triple J wrote:Sounds pretty neat so far.

Question: Though "Steam" is obvious, how exactly are you distributing the game when you say "PC"? Disc, Windows store, etc?

I think it would just be downloaded from the website. And you would pay using paypal.
Runouw
Site Admin

Postby GrandPiano » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:54 pm

I like the open world idea. Will the story have any connection to the previous two chapters?
GrandPiano

Postby Cordelia » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:07 pm

I have a few questions, Runouw.

1.) When you say open world, what do you mean? Being a 2D game, I assume you're referring to a more Metroidvania type of game? Or maybe just a massive mishmash of places?

2.) What will be the price of Last Legacy on Steam? I am in full support of Last Legacy, and I would like to support it further by purchasing the game. I want to set aside a specific amount of money so I'll be able to afford it, so if you have any price guesses, could you let us know?

That's all I have for now.
Cordelia

Postby Yurimaster » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:09 pm

Runouw wrote:And what about a console port? That is something I would love to do, but I simply do not know enough about it at the time. If the game is sells enough, you will one day see it on a console, though I don't know if level designing work very well on a console.

It'd be pretty awesome actually. I think the level designer would work really neatly on the Wii U, because of the Gamepad.
Yurimaster

Postby Runouw » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:57 pm

Cordelia wrote:I have a few questions, Runouw.
1.) When you say open world, what do you mean? Being a 2D game, I assume you're referring to a more Metroidvania type of game? Or maybe just a massive mishmash of places?

Yeah, it's Metroidvania-type open world.

Cordelia wrote:2.) What will be the price of Last Legacy on Steam?
That's all I have for now.

I don't have an official price, but I'm shooting for $10-15.
Runouw
Site Admin

Postby Triple J » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:59 pm

Never thought of this until now, but...

Will there be any Beta or Release Candidate(s) apart from the finished, paid game? If so, what do you think will be different about the "paid Level Designer" from the Release Candidate's? If not, is Null Space's going to be the last free Level Designer for Last Legacy?
My biggest Last Legacy project!
It all comes together right here!
Join the fun and make the list!
Triple J

Postby AwesomeJRFD » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:31 pm

What about monthly dev versions/snapshots?
ImageImage
AwesomeJRFD

Next

Return to General