Chapter 1&2 Q&A

Re: Chapter 1&2 Q&A

Postby lulzaraptor » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:21 am

This bug occurs when the game cannot create a bitmap for "Block" and "Planet" items. The ways this error could have been triggered are:
1.) You made a planet or block with more than 16 million pixels in it (this probably isn't the case)
2.) The Flash-Player runtime was unable to allocate enough memory to create the bitmap

1) new pixel limit is 256 million (16,000x16,000). so this is definitely will not be an issue
2) maybe (?) depends on the system you have. I profiled a few levels and got a baseline of 100MB of RAM consumed. I guess it is possible to make a level so massive that it doesn't fit in RAM. For example, the previously stated theoretical gigaplanet is 1GB (16,000*16,000[pixels]/1,000[Kb]/1,000[Mb]/4[Bytes per pixel]).

There's not much I can do to fix this at the moment (except force the game to free memory before a level loads. Which would only prolong the error).

You might be able to do this. You CAN do this in the current build using scripts. However we might blacklist that command.
lulzaraptor

Postby Triple J » Tue May 19, 2015 9:58 pm

Slightly-related question. Will the game use less resources when moved to Java?

After prolonged use of the game, I notice that Flash will start using more and more resources (it seems), and eventually it'll cause too much "fake lag" and Flash will abruptly close itself out without any warning.
My biggest Last Legacy project!
It all comes together right here!
Join the fun and make the list!
Triple J

Postby Dante » Wed May 20, 2015 6:45 am

Triple J wrote:Flash will abruptly close itself out without any warning.

This is a thing? I thought it was just me pressing Ctrl+W by mistake while navigating the LD. Java might be on the same level as Flash, it really depends on the way it's programmed...I'd like to hear feedback on this for sure.

Q: Will LL:NS's controls be applied to Chapter 1 in the remix? I tried to do Chapter One and get an idea of the storyline, but the controls ended up frustrating me more than anything...
Dante

Postby lulzaraptor » Wed May 20, 2015 9:42 pm

Recommended system requirements are:
CPU: 3ghz amd, 2.4ghz Intel.
RAM: 2GB
HDD: 2GB
Graphics: shader model 3

This is for 4K resolution at 60fps with no culling and no level splitters. These should go down as we optimize the engine. I have gotten the game to run on a 1.3ghz Intel atom tablet before. So that is probably going to be the minimum requirements benchmark

Controls are user defined and can be set to keyboard or gamepad.
lulzaraptor

Postby ChaosYoshi » Fri May 22, 2015 4:21 am

Triple J wrote:Slightly-related question. Will the game use less resources when moved to Java?

After prolonged use of the game, I notice that Flash will start using more and more resources (it seems), and eventually it'll cause too much "fake lag" and Flash will abruptly close itself out without any warning.

Flash isn't the most reliable code out there, but I don't think I've ever experienced Flash closing without warning before. If so, it's probably because the garbage collector may not be working properly (assuming that Flash has one by default as I'm not familiar with it). Java, iirc, is more resource-heavy, but it's able to do much more. The reason it uses so much is because Java comes with a lot of pre-installed functions, some that work in the background, like a garbage collector to clean up any unused memory, or an array manager that's rather flexible (that one especially is resource heavy). As JFRD already said, it also depends on how it's programmed.

If there's someone that's reading this with more knowledge on the subject, please correct me if I've stated any misinformation.
ChaosYoshi

Postby Dante » Fri May 22, 2015 4:50 am

ChaosYoshi wrote:As JFRD already said

Shad does not approve of your error. : (

So this is just a shot in the dark, something I found on my first playthrough. Will the Winged Boots exploit be fixed, so players don't become multi-thousandaires as easily?
Dante

Postby lulzaraptor » Fri May 22, 2015 7:33 pm

ChaosYoshi wrote:If there's someone that's reading this with more knowledge on the subject, please correct me if I've stated any misinformation.

Both languages compile to bytecode and are interpreted on a virtual machine. However Java may compile it some time into execution or before execution. Because of this, Java will run faster at the cost of more memory (due to cost of compiling).

The new code is also designed better.
Some examples I can give:
  • sound playback is less resource intensive
  • graphics are full hardware accelerated
  • a real script interpreter (successor to triggers)
lulzaraptor

Postby Triple J » Fri May 22, 2015 7:49 pm

lulzaraptor wrote:[...] Because of this, Java will run faster at the cost of more memory (due to cost of compiling).

So the game will be more likely to close itself out in Java after prolonged use than in Flash? Because Flash already cannot handle too much processing with my 4GB of RAM (3.47GB usable). :(

(I'm looking at you, the Clovervest Games.)
My biggest Last Legacy project!
It all comes together right here!
Join the fun and make the list!
Triple J

Postby ChaosYoshi » Fri May 22, 2015 8:03 pm

Dante wrote:
ChaosYoshi wrote:As JFRD already said

Shad does not approve of your error. : (

ChaosYoshi wrote:... I think that 9 PM should be my bedtime now if I'm that tired.
ChaosYoshi

Postby lulzaraptor » Fri May 22, 2015 8:12 pm

Triple J wrote:
lulzaraptor wrote:[...] Because of this, Java will run faster at the cost of more memory (due to cost of compiling).

So the game will be more likely to close itself out in Java after prolonged use than in Flash? Because Flash already cannot handle too much processing with my 4GB of RAM (3.47GB usable). :(

(I'm looking at you, the Clovervest Games.)

The memory issue encountered in flash is called a 'memory leak' and occurs when resource handling is done improperly. This won't happen since its not a literal port.
lulzaraptor

PreviousNext

Return to General