What happened to Runouw.com?

The general forum.

Re: What happened to Runouw.com?

Postby Supershroom » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:37 am

Call it "aghastness" if you don't wanna call it "anger".

I'm aghast because this literally came from nowhere and noone knows how long this can take. We're all banned from the site and noone knows how long, and noone knows how reliable these web hosts are. It's especially terrible because there are timed things going on, especially the Runolympics, and it blocks my Wiki activity, and I would want to post my new SM63 level soon, and I also want to ask for judges for my duel against Harmless. (Maybe I find some on CyTube or something. Though I've never been there before.)

EDIT: Well I'm okay as long as I can occupy myself somehow.
Last edited by Supershroom on Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supershroom

Postby Niicola » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:51 am

Runouw wrote:the site might be down for a few days.

Oh god :lol: , the Runolympics summed up :
"Anything that can go wrong, will—at the worst possible moment." ~ Finagle's Law of Dynamic Negatives
"There is no good or evil, only Akuma."
~ Akuma the raging Demon

Follow me in The Topic of "Coming Soon" Levels/Projects.
First page have been updated to make it look more professional, check it out!
Last update 02/07/16
Niicola

Postby ~MP3 Amplifier~ » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:18 pm

There is absolutely no reason to get angry or flustered about this. Yes, it is annoying, yes we all have things that we'd much rather be doing and we all have things that we're worried about losing. But getting wound up is not the answer. Runouw has confirmed that this is not permanent and there are ways we can retrieve things and get the site back up, the fact it may only take a matter of days means we don't need too much patience. For a while I was concerned it might never come back.

So the best thing to do is take a few days off, either stay here and use this site or have a few days internet-free, I daresay some of us probably need it. And before you know it, the forums will be back up again, and we'll be able to continue doing the Runolympics.
~MP3 Amplifier~

Postby Worldsixthocean » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:25 pm

Seems i am the lastest guy who notice that. I was busy last few days. Hope the site will back as soon as possible. Looking form the bright side, it's a chance to make this site more active I think?

EDIT:oh and also happy birthday Goldy
Worldsixthocean

Postby Oranjui » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:22 pm

Supershroom wrote:It's especially terrible because there are timed things going on, especially the Runolympics, and it blocks my Wiki activity, and I would want to post my new SM63 level soon, and I also want to ask for judges for my duel against Harmless. (Maybe I find some on CyTube or something. Though I've never been there before.)

a) Runolympics can and probably will still be finished. Everybody wants to see it happen. The site is down temporarily, but that doesn't mean the entire thing is over. (Plus, we were just waiting on some representatives to tell Doram their availability for CAH so that the event could be planned around it. Sk is still kind of missing, but the show must go on.)

b) Again, the wiki isn't hosted on runouw.com. It's on Wikia. Unless you meant that you needed something for reference while you work on the wiki, in which case just be patient.

c) IRC is still up, since it's hosted on Suyo's personal server, greencouchgames, instead of Runouw's. You can still get there (and it's still very active) via Kiwi or Mibbit. CyTube (password: getrekt) isn't really used very often, but you may want to bookmark it as a backup chat just in case.

Take a deep breath and be patient. The site has been down before, and we've survived several days of downtime. Just try to calm down and stop worrying.

Also,
~MP3 Amplifier~ wrote:So the best thing to do is take a few days off, either stay here and use this site or have a few days internet-free, I daresay some of us probably need it. And before you know it, the forums will be back up again, and we'll be able to continue doing the Runolympics.
Thisssss 100%.

And happy birthday Goldy in his timezone.
—OJ • Thanks for the sig, FF! Ɛ>
Oranjui

Postby FrozenFire » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:46 pm

I don't like Runouw anyways
FrozenFire

Postby Karyete » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:01 pm

I think this can all be summed up in two words.

Shit happens.
Karyete

Postby Supershroom » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:49 pm

To make this clear: The fact that Runouw is down makes one part of my frustration. The reason behind it, and especially me thinking that this could have been easily prevented, is the other part of it. Of course everything can be well again in two days but I've met a bunch of cases of procrastination which taught me you can't always rely on that (not only on this site). And this one seems to be a kind of intricate situation from the looks.

-OJ wrote:Unless you meant that you needed something for reference while you work on the wiki, in which case just be patient.

I've planned to continue LDC topics and also started a topic about the Level Designer Duels, but I've found something else to fill thanks to the "Random page" button, that's good.

And maybe I just simply have another definition of "patience" and "short time" than you all have. Back when I was banned for three days, those three days felt almost like two weeks even though one of them was Christmas Eve. And maybe you're all more relaxed than me because you already have experienced a site crash (I recall the Timeline said something about it), while I haven't until now.
Supershroom

Postby -BY » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:35 pm

Now now. No need to turn this situation into a drama now. As for preventing. You'd be surprised how tedious this entire situation has been for literally ages. And it's in fact great that Runouw took care about these things all the time. And his reaction time to this issue was incredibly short as well. This stuff happens. Often when we don't really expect it. That's life.

Talking about life. It's definitely unhealthy to depend this much on Runouw.com or internet in general.
It's currently very comfortable to go outside in germany. So why not enjoying nature and/or doing something with friends? Your level design work can wait. And even if it cannot. You are probably able to work local on your computer without internet connection. At least I'm expecting the majority of LDers to have the downloaded version lying around somewhere.

As for the issue itself. It's definitely uncomfortable. But despite taking needless time on their side, it shouldn't be too bad. So yeah. Keep your cool. There's nothing you could do right now anyways. And venting frustration and anger might not exactly lead us anywhere right now.

TL;DR Have some tents, coats and hot chocolate everyone.
-BY

Postby Niicola » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:06 pm

Supershroom wrote:Back when I was banned for three days, those three days felt almost like two weeks even though one of them was Christmas Eve.

~MP3 Amplifier~ wrote:have a few days internet-free, I daresay some of us probably need it

*cough* especially Supershroom *cough*
"There is no good or evil, only Akuma."
~ Akuma the raging Demon

Follow me in The Topic of "Coming Soon" Levels/Projects.
First page have been updated to make it look more professional, check it out!
Last update 02/07/16
Niicola

PreviousNext

Return to General