Dev Diary 3: We're still doing this

Dev Diary 3: We're still doing this

Postby lulzaraptor » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:21 am

Ok so news time. First, there are a few quick things that I posted over in another thread. Below is a copy of that.
what happened to the updates: show
What happened (short answer): Christmas

Long Answer: We just didn't have anything flashy to present. 90~95% of the changes since last update were improving stability. "We added null checks and multi-level logging on all publicly visible API" doesn't make for a fun update post. In addition, a lot of time was lost due to multiple holidays. There were a couple weeks where our effective workforce was 25% normal. And then there was also several things that we just did not want to report early.

With that said, an update is due soon. The engine has entered "alpha test" a couple days ago.

Anyway, time for the screenshots. Here's a few of levels designed with the new level designer.

Desert Scene
Forest and Cave Scene
House (using new tileset)

I guess its a little hard to tell in those images, but there's a lot of color effects being applied. Here's a better display of what can be done with tile color blending now.

Tile filter test

You might notice that the color blend effects are no longer snapped to tiles. You can snap them if you want.

For those of you who like to code edit your levels, here's a sample of what the code will look like. Yes, we are using JSON now, so everything will be a lot more readable.

That's it for now. I'll probably be back soon with an update on engine plugins.

Edit:
requested screenshot of editor
lulzaraptor

Re: Dev Diary 3: We're still doing this

Postby Venexis » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:49 am

It may not be the most fun update stuff but it's super interesting, and I feel like more people than just myself would appreciate insight into what active game porting/development looks like- dull or not. :p
Venexis

Postby Oranjui » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:00 am

lulzaraptor wrote:Forest and Cave Scene

Are there five tile layers in this image? Or...

And from looking at that last image of the code, does that mean custom backgrounds will be an option? (and potentially maybe music too?)

I'd be curious to hear more about the API stuff, too, but in any case, all of this is pretty 10/10 and was definitely worth the wait.
—OJ • Thanks for the sig, FF! Ɛ>
Oranjui

Postby Runouw » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:18 am

Oranjui wrote:
lulzaraptor wrote:Forest and Cave Scene

Are there five tile layers in this image? Or...

There's actually 6. In this editor, you will be able to make levels be backgrounds. So what your seeing here is a level with 2 background levels.

Oranjui wrote:And from looking at that last image of the code, does that mean custom backgrounds will be an option? (and potentially maybe music too?)

For custom items/tile/backgrounds/anything, we want to allow for customization through modding. You will be able to drag and drop any image on your computer into the plugin folder to use it as a background. The catch is that if you share the level, people won't be able to see it unless they have the same mod installed.
Runouw
Site Admin

Postby -BY » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:33 pm

Questions over questions.

And since they got asked and answered more than once, I'll just reference to this post in the future.

The Level designer runs on Java now. It's not flash anymore.
Of course you're experiencing much less lag now.

More frequent updates are planned. And we've reached a stage in which we should be able to show off things more frequently. So stay tuned.

As for the question of the pricing of the LDer and all these things I can pretty much just refer to the past plans which are hidden somewhere in these forums. (Will link if I remember where.)
I'm not knowing too much about it and it's not quite my business to begin with.

About the changes you may experience in comparision to the Flash version of the LDer, I can tell from my subjective point of view, that there are pretty much changes. Luckily they're all of a positive nature.
So as mentioned before there's less lag, more customizing, better graphics in general, great colouring options for setting the mood just the way you like it, the code is wonderfully legible and much much more.

The pictures above would probably even blow you away if seen in movement as the new parallax effect gives levels a great depth at this point. I remember that a past update showed that effect before, but it's always nice to experience such things yourself.

And last but not least. Yeah. I tested the LDer. The outcome isn't the most satisfying but hey, I meant to be testing stuff in the first place.

Customizable backgrounds presents Last Country: Tropical Null Space ^^
http://i.imgur.com/xWu9jmn.png

BY's testing presents red ink accidentally shed over my beautiful forest.
http://i.imgur.com/K98qCNL.png
-BY

Postby Niicola » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:47 pm

Venexis wrote:It may not be the most fun update stuff but it's super interesting

+1
"There is no good or evil, only Akuma."
~ Akuma the raging Demon

Follow me in The Topic of "Coming Soon" Levels/Projects.
First page have been updated to make it look more professional, check it out!
Last update 02/07/16
Niicola

Postby ColdWater » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:15 pm

the first two screenshots looks easy to make actually (i cannot make every items but i can make most of those screenshots ,maybe ill try this).
now
Runouw wrote:There's actually 6. In this editor, you will be able to make levels be backgrounds. So what your seeing here is a level with 2 background levels.

custom backgrounds confirmed? hype level increased by one
hmm can we put moving objects into these? because why not.

Runouw wrote:For custom items/tile/backgrounds/anything, we want to allow for customization through modding. You will be able to drag and drop any image on your computer into the plugin folder to use it as a background. The catch is that if you share the level, people won't be able to see it unless they have the same mod installed.

so basically i can make an image with something like paint.net and put it in my level? that would be very good. (can we change the alpha of the pixels in the image for the background?)

i have other questions.

- can we make custom foregrounds? by foregrounds i mean the same thing as backgrounds but in front of the player
- can we make multiple backgrounds ? so if its possible ill be able to make some interesting stoff hehehe
- what will be the required dimensions for custom tiles? because i wanna do my own tiles (hehehe again)
-thats it hehehe.

very very interesting news of course
BY ,please ,can we collab? in the current version of null space of course (the version everyone can play) if youre okay for collabing send me a pm
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) is love ,( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) is life.
Salut la France ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dont be crazy if I abuse lennies ,please ,seriously I love those , same thing if I talk everyday on shadows effect in the LD ,but I like making 160 objects in one single 17x22 screen.
waaaaa
ColdWater

Postby lulzaraptor » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:07 pm

ColdWater wrote:the first two screenshots looks easy to make actually (i cannot make every items but
- what will be the required dimensions for custom tiles? because i wanna do my own tiles (hehehe again)

In engine, tiles are treated as "32x32" but the units are actually "points" and not "pixels". The renderer scales it such that 1 point is roughly 1 pixel.

Tilesets however are measured in pixels. I believe it will scale tiles to being the size of the largest tile to reduce loss of information.

Venexis wrote:It may not be the most fun update stuff but it's super interesting, and I feel like more people than just myself would appreciate insight into what active game porting/development looks like- dull or not. :p

updated OP.
lulzaraptor

Postby FrozenFire » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:38 am

The trees though. <3
FrozenFire

Postby Supershroom » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:08 pm

I really hope for suggestions on more user-friendliness for the level designer being taken into account, and I'd also love a way to reform blocks when they're already made, because now it obviously requires undoing the block and it can be a bit annoying.
Supershroom

Return to News