Developer Diary II: Return of the Sprites

Developer Diary II: Return of the Sprites

Postby lulzaraptor » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:09 pm

Time for another status update regarding the engine.

Some of you may remember the update regarding the engine prototype. Well, over the last two months, we have made significant progress in improving the game engine and transforming it into a modular and adaptable 2D game engine.

The first of these upgrades is an abstract and asynchronous graphical API. It "tunes" itself to work best on the user's hardware. This drastically reduces the driver specs to about OpenGL 2.0 with a few extensions. However you will get incremental rendering improvements the newer your graphics card is. For those that do not have the proper OpenGL support, we have compiled the Mesa3D drivers for Windows Vista or newer.

The second part is something we have named the "Legacy Engine". All of the future titles Runouw has announced any time in the past 1-2 years will likely be running on top of this beast. It features all the utilities needed to make a game, packed into a single shared library. It is heavily extensible and modable by design.

It may have slipped out earlier, but one of the requirements for the Legacy Engine is for it to be possible for anyone to extend and make their own game. You are probably thinking right now "Make my own game? Pshh, I don't even know how to code!"

Well, the trigger system found in the flash Last Legacy games has had a makeover to make it much easier to use. It's a little early to showcase right now, so we might have a "Dev Diary 2.5" just for it. For the people out there that can put the "pro" in "programmer" out there reading this, you may link the engine as an external library in any JVM language.

More info may be coming.
lulzaraptor

Re: Developer Diary II: Return of the Sprites

Postby Niicola » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:28 pm

lulzaraptor wrote:be possible for anyone to extend and make their own game.

Shut up and take my square.jpg
Shut up and take my square.jpg (18.98 KiB) Viewed 9459 times
"There is no good or evil, only Akuma."
~ Akuma the raging Demon

Follow me in The Topic of "Coming Soon" Levels/Projects.
First page have been updated to make it look more professional, check it out!
Last update 02/07/16
Niicola

Postby Karyete » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:08 pm

Tears of joy were shed at the reading of this post.
Karyete

Postby Dtroid » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:43 am

Wow.

I don't know what else to say. That just opens up a whole new world of possibilities.
signature
Dtroid

Postby Triple J » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:17 pm

Let's just say I might have died when I read this.

Good thing I didn't.

100/100 don't even need to see any proof of your claims
My biggest Last Legacy project!
It all comes together right here!
Join the fun and make the list!
Triple J

Postby Dtroid » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:25 pm

Might there be a "Game Portal" for the games made using this, such as the levels to the level portal?
signature
Dtroid

Postby lulzaraptor » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:49 am

Dtroid wrote:Might there be a "Game Portal" for the games made using this, such as the levels to the level portal?

If that does happen (not saying it will), it would require tighter security than the level portal.
lulzaraptor

Postby Bryan » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:00 pm

lulzaraptor wrote:The second part is something we have named the "Legacy Engine". All of the future titles Runouw has announced any time in the past 1-2 years will likely be running on top of this beast. It features all the utilities needed to make a game, packed into a single shared library. It is heavily extensible and modable by design.

As a programmer myself, my heart lit up reading this. Even if I never get around to using the Legacy Engine extensively, it makes me incredibly excited to hear when small indie teams like Runouw accomplish such a momentous task like this. I'm looking forward to seeing the final product. Great work, guys.
Bryan

Return to News