The Clovervest Games (Project)

Talk about the Last Legacy level designer creations. Anything from full blown level series to pixel art made with blocks.

Re: The Clovervest Games (Project)

Postby Triple J » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:18 pm

...If I ever feel like it.

Besides, am I even pleasing enough people?
My biggest Last Legacy project!
It all comes together right here!
Join the fun and make the list!
Triple J

Postby bowser2007 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:56 am

Ok, as shroom has said, this forum is not a joke. Everyone on the portal loves this level. I think what everyone is trying to say is that this level is so big that, because you can't exactly save it, people are finding it too difficult to finish and just cannot find the time to do it all in one go. I know that you can't do anything about this, but maybe you could try to make it shorter by changing the amount of clover points required to win to, say, 50. That means you need to spend about half as long completing the game. If fact, I think that this level is so long that you could potentially make it into a game all on it's own (if you know how to program) with all the separate challenges put together.

The other thing that is stopping people from completing this level is the fact that it is VERY difficult. Although you probably find it very easy, that would be because you are much more skilled than the rest of us, so what may seem like the simplest game is extremely difficult for many of us on the portal, which means that people rage quitting is probably one of the biggest reasons that nobody has currently been able to get into the hall of fame yet. Still, give it some time and make future challenges easier and maybe niccola or frozenfire might be able to give you some proper feedback.

And now, for my actual feedback:
-the graphics were great, especially those logos on the buildings and the platforms in time attack.
-the level was very extensive and the multiple exit thing, while not original, still was a great idea
-the backstory was fairly detailed and the characters are really funny (I loved the lightning guy. He was cool.)
-the elevators and other trigger contraptions were very clever
-the easy and hard modes were a cool idea (although sometimes even easy mode was still hard)

-some of those levels are just way too hard, even on easy mode!
-this level get's laggy. not much you can do about this one until the remix comes out though. :(
-some of the longer levels are a bit confusing at times about where to go.
-that's about it really. other than that great job!

And here's a list of ideas for what you might want to add in later levels once chapter 1 + 2 comes out (Some of these are probably already added but are only available after finding all those secrets)
-I'd love to visit the locked garden
-poor guy, stuck in the mud with all those clover points. If only there were a way to help him.
-I wonder where default boy flew away to...
-the employees only room in the hotel thing seems like a good place to break into.
-It's a shame that there are currently no fish in the clovervest pond. I'd love to go fishing there ;)
-maybe a tutorial about all the hidden secrets would be nice. It could have information about special tactics on how to win some of the harder games too, like the 'get off the red platforms ASAP' one.
those crazy people around town were so cool. Maybe you could add more.
-as you mentioned before, we really need arrows and signs telling you where to go in levels.
-What if there was a final super secret challenge that was really hard even for you, and it was only unlocked once you've gotten a condor on every level on every challenge? It could be super rewarding.

Let me know if you are still a bit confused. I should be able to help.

PS I forgot to say that you're pleasing me :)
Last edited by bowser2007 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
bowser2007

Postby Triple J » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:00 pm

I was wrong. I wish this were referring to the Essence of Time, lol

What you have given me is what I originally wanted out of this thread, but you've done it in a way that seems different, I dunno. I don't want to disregard everybody else's feedback, but maybe I should've asked for simple pros and cons to begin with.

I can't believe what I've done to myself. There is just no stopping you people from liking me.

However, I still don't feel all so confident about my LDing abilities. Super Mario Maker, as fun as it is, kinda killed off my confidence a little much. You guys may think I'm very good at level designing here, but I'm not making very good progress over there.
Triple J

Postby bowser2007 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:59 am

Maybe that's because in super mario maker you are much more limited in what you can do. It seems that most of your levels involve custom sprites made from tiles and advanced trigger contraptions which simply cannot be used in super mario maker. The reason you don't get many ratings on SMM may also be because the portal on that game is not very well managed and most people who are successful on the other portal are either famous or just make stupid remakes of levels from actual mario games, which are very unoriginal (now that I think about it, I probably am part of that group :lol:). The SSM portal is also very large and most levels that are made have close to 0 plays and almost no ratings. Haters and trolls are also much more common on the other portal.
bowser2007

Postby Triple J » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:40 am

bowser2007 wrote:Maybe that's because in super mario maker you are much more limited in what you can do. It seems that most of your levels involve custom sprites made from tiles and advanced trigger contraptions which simply cannot be used in super mario maker. The reason you don't get many ratings on SMM may also be because the portal on that game is not very well managed and most people who are successful on the other portal are either famous or just make stupid remakes of levels from actual mario games, which are very unoriginal (now that I think about it, I probably am part of that group :lol:). The SSM portal is also very large and most levels that are made have close to 0 plays and almost no ratings. Haters and trolls are also much more common on the other portal.

Makes sense.

It's a shame their server doesn't get moderated like ours, though.

By the way, when I find the time, I'll eventually be getting back to work on the fourth Challenge. ; )

And here's a little secret I've been keeping to myself about my plans with this project:
Spoiler: show
Each Challenge I released will have both their original Flash version AND an enhanced version. I plan to TOTALLY redo the functions of things like text animations, stuff like Toxin Bombs and Cage Traps, and I hope to make an HD rendition of Zappy Guy!!

There is one issue, though... that the Remix may be released before I can finish all 8 Challenges, so I may have to make something changes to this plan of mine.
Triple J

Postby Triple J » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:20 pm

The thought has popped up in my head quite a bit recently, but now I think it's for the best.

I'm putting this project on hold until the release of the Ch1&2 Remix (and to buy it). The more I get done here before it's released, the more I have to enhance, and that would mean more time wasted in my book.

Until then, I'll be working on that Zappy Guy series, so apparently you guys will still get to see more of him. :P
Triple J

Postby Triple J » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:18 pm

Here's an update on my future plans for this project:

spoiler alert!: show
I remain firm on the idea of redoing each of the 3 Challenges made so far when the Ch1&2 Remake is released. I plan to rename the current version of each level as "The Old Clovervest Games" or something similar.

As I remake the Clovervest Games, I hope I'll be able to do the following things:
  • Trigger the text animation right after you finish a level, instead of taking the player to another screen. (Depending on what the Ch1&2 Remake will truly be capable of, I might replace them all with some crazier text animations.)
  • Confetti when you score a Birdie, fireworks with an Eagle, bursts of light of after scoring an Albatross, and explosions of some sort when you finally hit a Condor. (Not sure what I'll do for Par. Maybe just a brief sparkle.)
  • Easy Mode will actually be easy. Hard Mode will be more fun to play around with than it is now.
  • All levels for each Challenge will be enhanced for a more pleasant play-through.
  • The town itself will be remodeled more distinctly.
  • The "Information Center" will be redone.
  • There will be a new section of the town, assuming the level codes won't be as long. (Just cross your fingers that the level codes will be shortened!)
  • Saving progress indefinitely. (This depends on the capabilities of the Ch1&2 Remake.)
  • Miscellaneous tweaks that come to mind, of course.
Triple J

Previous

Return to User creations